Current Affairs for Defence Exams – 13th December 2018
The General Awareness Section of Defence Exams covers numerous sections in it like History, Static GK, and Current Affairs. But the most important thing that you might have noticed is that Static Awareness questions asked in the General Awareness Section are based on Current Affairs only. The questions on Static Awareness are related to the countries, events or anything that has been in news for a while. Here is the Daily GK Update comprising of Current Affairs Important for upcoming Defence Exams to get you acquainted with the top events that made the headlines today!!
- 1st international conference on sexual exploitation of children to be held in Kolkata
The first international conference on “Sexual Exploitation of Children in Digital Era” will be held in Kolkata on December 14-15 to spread awareness among people. The global meet comes close on the heels of reports that India accounted for around 2.4 million instances of online child sexual abuse last year.
- Among those who will participate in it are officials from West Bengal Commission for the Protection of Child Rights (WBCPCR), International Justice Mission (IJM), and chairpersons of women commissions across the country.
- PM Modi inaugurates Partners’ Forum 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the fourth Partners’ Forum, an international conference organised to improve the health and well-being of women, children and adolescents, with about 1,500 participants from 85 countries.
- From India, Intensified Mission Indradhanush has been selected as one of the case studies under Quality, Equity and Dignity (QED) theme. This is the second time India is hosting the Partners’ Forum. The last one was held in 2010.
- The two-day conference, organised by the Central government in association with the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PMNCH).
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan resigns as MP CM
Congress has its path clear in Madhya Pradesh to form a government with Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan resigning from the post. Governor Anandiben Patel has invited Congress leader Kamal Nath, who wrote to her that his party has emerged as the single largest party in the state and has majority support in the 230-member Assembly, staking claim.
- Portal ENSURE Launched by Agriculture Ministry
The Agriculture Ministry launched online portal Ensure to connect with direct benefit transfer and provide simple, useful and transparent system to the beneficiary. Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Shri Radha Mohan Singh launched the portal ENSURE- National Livestock Mission- EDEG developed by NABARD and operated under the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries.
- Under the Mission’s component called Entrepreneurship Development and Employment Generation (EDEG), subsidy payment for activities related to poultry, small ruminants, pigs etc. through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) goes directly to the beneficiary’s account.
- EU Ambassador Opens India’s 1st CoE at MAHE
India’s first Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence established by the European Union was inaugurated at the Department of European Studies (DES) at Manipal Academy of Higher Education by Ambassador of the European Union (EU) to India and Bhutan, Tomasz Kozlowski.
- The Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in India-EU Interdisciplinary Studies aims to strengthen and enhance the educational connect between India and EU.
- Delhi government launches ‘Operation Minimum wage’ to check violations
The Delhi government launched a 10-day special drive to check whether minimum wage rules set by it are being followed in the national capital.
- The special task force will conduct “Operation Minimum Wage” in the south district of the labour department and those found violating the norms will have to appear before the court on December 25.
- The government has fixed wages of various categories on the basis of skills. The minimum wage for the unskilled labourers is Rs 14,000 per month while that for semi-skilled is Rs 15,400 per month and for the skilled, it is Rs 16,962 per month.
- World’s first floating nuclear plant operational in Russia
Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s first “floating” nuclear power plant (FNPP) for installation in remote areas, has been started and brought to 10 per cent of its capacity, Russian state-run atomic energy corporation Rosatom announced.
- Russia is already working on second generation floating nuclear power plant which will be equipped with two reactors with an increased capacity of 50MW each. Rosatom are also the equipment suppliers and consultants for the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project in Tamil Nadu.
- Yogi Adityanath arrives in Nepal to participate in Bibaha Panchami festival
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath reached Janakpur to participate in the celebrations of ‘Shri Ram-Janaki Bibaha Panchami’ festival and offered prayers at the Janaki Mandir.
- Preparations have been in full swing in Mithilanchal in Nepal’s Janakpur region for the ‘Bibaha Panchami’ celebrations which is observed traditionally to celebrate the marriage of Lord Ram and Sita.
- The week-long marriage celebrations formally started on December 7 and will conclude on December 13.
- International Universal Health Coverage Day
Universal Health Coverage Day is celebrated annually on December 12 and is promoted by the World Health Organization. It aims to raise awareness of the need for strong and resilient health systems and universal health coverage with multi-stakeholder partners.
- The theme for the 2018 UHC Day is: “Unite for Universal Health Coverage: Now is the Time for Collective Action.”
- Gujarat’s women group gets UN award
India’s Gujarat got a United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) award for women’s leadership with low cost and sustainable technology to tackle storms.
- The Gender Just Climate Solutions Award of the Women and Gender Constituency, one of the nine stakeholder groups of the UNFCCC, was given to Gujarat at a side event of the ongoing 24th Conference of the Parties (COP24) in Katowice, Poland in the technical category.
- Sascha Bajin wins 1st WTA Coach of the Year award
Sascha Bajin has been chosen as the first winner of the WTA Coach of the Year award after helping Naomi Osaka collect the U.S. Open title. The first season as a team for Bajin and Osaka produced her first WTA title at Indian Wells, then her first Grand Slam title in New York, where she beat Serena Williams in the final. Bajin used to work with Williams.
- Mary Kom Honoured With ‘Meethoileima’ Title
Manipur Government honoured AIBA World Women Boxing Gold medalist MC Mary Kom with the title “Meethoileima” (par excellent queen) at a function in Imphal.
- On the occasion, State Chief Minister N. Biren Singh handed over a cheque of ten lakh rupees to her. The Chief Minister also declared that the Imphal West DC Road towards Game Village will be named as MC Mary Kom Road.
- Manika becomes first Indian to win ‘Breakthrough Star’ award at ITTF ceremony
Manika Batra became the first ever Indian table tennis player to be decorated with the ‘Breakthrough Table Tennis Star’ award at the prestigious ITTF Star Awards in Incheon, South Korea.
- Manika started the year on a high at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, guiding India to it’s first-ever gold medal in the Women’s Team category. Manika also reached her career-best ranking of 52 in 2018 and became India’s highest ranked female player.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- Book written by Arvind Subramanian “Of Counsel:The Challenges of the Modi Jaitley Economy” launched
- Former Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) Arvind Subramanian said both demonetisation and implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST) led to moderation of the Indian Economy.
- Speaking at the launch event of his book, ‘Of Counsel: The Challenges of the Modi-Jaitley Economy’, he said the structure of GST implemented to eliminate cascading taxes could have been much better.
You may also like to read:
1. Current Affairs Quiz
प्रिय छात्रो, अगर आपका कोई भी सवाल हो तो Comment Box मे आप हमे Comment करके बता सकते हो हम आपको आपके सवालो का सही जवाब जरुर देंगे आप अपनी तरफ से सुजाव भी दे सकते हैं और आप अपने दोस्तों को Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter के जरिये शेयर कीजिए ताकि और भी Students को ज्ञान मिल पाए, धन्यवाद्!