The General Awareness Section of Defence Exams covers numerous sections in it like History, Static GK, and Current Affairs. But the most important thing that you might have noticed is that Static Awareness questions asked in the General Awareness Section are based on Current Affairs only. The questions on Static Awareness are related to the countries, events or anything that has been in news for a while. Here is the Daily GK Update comprising of Current Affairs Important for upcoming Defence Exams to get you acquainted with the top events that made the headlines today!!
i. 80th session WCO policy commission held in Mumbai
The 80th Session of the three-day Policy Commission of the World Customs Organisation (WCO) will begin in Mumbai. Issues like trade facilitation and controlling illicit financial flow will be discussed during the three-day event, the opening session of which will be addressed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- The meeting is being organised by the World Customs Organisation (WCO) and hosted by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), India and will continue till December 5. The Indian delegation will be headed by CBIC Chairman S Ramesh.
- Extra info.:
World Customs Organization Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs HQ: New Delhi
ii. International conference on bears starts in Agra
More than 80 delegates from 11 countries are participating in an International conference on bears being organised in the Taj city for the first time.
- Hosted by Wildlife SOS, a conservation non-profit, the conference from December 3-6 is focused on bear care, wildlife conservation and human wildlife conflict mitigation and is in collaboration with Bear Care Group from the US and Canada.
- The conference aims to share knowledge on principles of welfare of bears and other wild animals in zoos, sanctuaries and rescue centres.
iii. Centre proposes ban on all animals in circuses
The Centre has proposed prohibition of the use of animals for performances, exhibition at any circus or mobile entertainment facilities, a move hailed by animal rights activists as “progressive and laudable”.
- In the Performing Animals (Registration) Rules, 2001, under rule 13, the following shall be added 13A– prohibition on exhibiting and training of animals for specified performances. No animals shall be used for any performances or exhibition at any circus or mobile entertainment facility.
iv. Sushma Swaraj inaugurates Gandhi-Zayed Digital Museum in Abu Dhabi
External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the Gandhi-Zayed Digital Museum in Abu Dhabi along with Foreign Minister of UAE Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- The launch marks the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi and the centenary celebrations of UAE’s founding father Sheikh Zayed.
- The EAM is on an official two-day visit to the nation, where she is slated to call on the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
v. EX SHINYUU Maitri-2018 Exercise With Japan commences in Agra
The Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) is in India for a bilateral air exercise SHINYUU Maitri-18 with Indian Air Force from 03-07 December at A F Station Agra. The theme of the exercise is ‘Joint Mobility/Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief (HADR) on Transport aircraft’.
- The focus of the exercise is set for the IAF and JASDF crews to undertake Joint Mobility/ HADR operations. Display of heavy loading/ off loading are also planned to be practiced during this exercise.
vi. Odisha launches PEETHA to create awareness about various schemes
With an aim at creating awareness about various schemes of the state government and improve transparency in distribution of individual and social benefits, chief minister Naveen Patnaik announced PEETHA initiative.
The PEETHA initiative is part of the Ama Gaon…Ama Bikash (AGAB) programme, perceived to be the largest people-connect programme of the Naveen Patnaik government.
Awareness camps on various state government schemes will be organized at the gram panchayat level from 15th-20th every month starting December as part of the programme.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
i. Rs 60000 crore to be spent on MGNREGA this year: Finance Minister
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said about 60 thousand crore rupees would be spent on Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, MGNREGA this year. He said that the NDA Government has pumped in resources into the rural areas which has improved the infrastructure and the quality of life of people.
- The investment in rural roads has increased three-fold and very soon India will be close to the destination of connecting every village with a pucca road.
- Govt forms six-member panel to look at selling 149 fields of ONGC, OIL to private companies
- The government has constituted a six-member committee to look at selling as many as 149 small and marginal oil and gas fields of state-owned ONGC and OIL to private and foreign companies to boost domestic output.
- The panel is headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar.
ii. ICICI Securities, BSE launch ‘instant payout’ facility
ICICI Securities, along with the BSE, has launched a facility wherein clients of the domestic brokerage entity would be able to receive the pay-out within 30 minutes of selling the shares. This is much quicker than the current system in which it takes at least two days after the transaction for investors to get the money in their bank account.
- The facility, called eATM, was launched and is available to all clients of ICICI Securities. The new service would have a cap of Rs.50,000 per client a day, and would be applicable on about 600 stocks listed on the BSE.
iii. ‘Bahrain and Maharashtra Government signs MoU on fintech
The Economic Development Board (EDB), the investment promotion arm of the Kingdom of Bahrain signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Maharashtra Government to provide a framework for Co-operation between the two authorities to promote FinTech in their respective markets.
- This MoU is in line with the EDB’s aims of exploring greater synergies between India and Bahrain in the financial technology space and will last for an initial period of three years.
i. Ullas Narayan wins India’s first international medal in ultra running
Ullas Narayan became the first ever Indian individual medal winner in an international ultra running event by clinching a bronze in the 2018 International Association of Ultra Running (IAU) 24 Hour Asia & Oceania Championships held in Taipei city, Taiwan.
- Narayan bagged the third position, completing 250 km, behind two Japanese runners Yoshihiko Ishikawa (253 km) and Nobuyuki Takahashi (252 km).
ii. Maheshwari Chauhan retains women’s skeet title
Rajasthan’s Maheshwari Chauhan retained her women’s skeet title at the 62nd National Shooting Championship Competitions (NSCC) for shotgun events. Maheshwari got the better of Punjab’s Ganemat Sekhon. The bronze medal was won by Punjab’s Simran Preet Kaur Johal.
i. Jon Ridgeon appointed as CEO of IAAF
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced the appointment of Jon Ridgeon as its new CEO following approval by the IAAF Council on the first day of its 215th Council Meeting in Monaco. Ridgeon will take up the new role in March 2019.
i. Delhi Minister Imran Hussain Awarded By PETA For Ban On Chinese Manjha
Hussain received a ‘Hero to Animals Award’ by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India for saving the lives of humans and animals by banning all forms of manja throughout the National Capital Territory of Delhi.
- In July, Hussain called for a complete ban on the sale, production, storage and import of Chinese ‘manja’, saying these sharp-edged threads not only hurt birds but also children.
ii. Luka Modric wins the Ballon d’Or 2018
Luka Modric won the Ballon d’Or award for the first time, ending the 10-year dominance of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Modric won the Champions League with Real Madrid and then guided Croatia to the World Cup final in July. He was voted player of the tournament.
- Ronaldo was second in the Ballon d’Or followed by France forward Antoine Griezmann.
i. Indian Navy Day
Navy day is observed on 4th of December every year to celebrate the achievements, and role of the naval force in protecting and guarding the the country. Navy Day is celebrated in memory of the strength and bravery of the Indian Navy who won the Indo-Pak war in 1971.
- The theme for this year is ‘Indian Navy, Mission-deployed and Combat-ready.’
प्रिय छात्र एवं छात्राओं, अगर आपका कोई भी सवाल हो तो Comment Box मे आप हमे Comment करके बता सकते हो हम आपको आपके सवालो का सही जवाब जरुर देंगे आप अपनी तरफ से सुजाव भी दे सकते हैं और आप अपने दोस्तों को Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter के जरिये शेयर कीजिए ताकि और भी Students को ज्ञान मिल पाए, धन्यवाद्!